In the 1980s, a book of direct marketing cases was published by two professors, but unfortunately, after that first edition it was not updated. As those cases became a bit stale, and no one stepping in to develop new cases, the Chicago Association of Direct Marketing Educational Foundation (now MMEF) contacted Dr. Steve Kelly at DePaul University. Dr. Kelly was intrigued and committed right away to help develop and cultivate case writers.
In the mid- and late-1990s, Dr. Kelly held case writing workshops, first in Chicago and then in partnership with the Direct Marketing Educational Foundation (now Marketing EDGE). In those days, the focus was on helping professors learn best practices for case writing. Later those best practices were captured in a booklet that we still provide to prospective case writers today. I remember in the mid-1990s, driving some out-of-town profs to Sears in Hoffman Estates to meet with case subjects. We started getting some great cases that were made available through DePaul, but we realized that we were not reaching as many potential case writers, subjects and case adopters as we could.
CADMEF and DMEF started working together to provide a Case Writers’ Workshop in conjunction with what is now called the Marketing EDGE Research Summit. This event is held every year prior to the DMA Conference. After experimenting with various formats, it was decided that the workshop would anchor the Research Summit on Saturday mornings – a format we have used for several years now. A long-time supporter of direct and interactive marketing education, Ron Jacobs, stepped in a few years ago to become the major funder of what is now called The Jacobs & Clevenger Case Writers’ Workshop. With Ron’s support and that of MMEF and Marketing EDGE, the workshop now cultivates case writers who compete for prizes and publication opportunities.
Another staunch supporter of the workshop is Rich Hagle, who publishes The IMC Handbook: Readings and Cases in Integrated Marketing Communications through his company, RACOM Books. Winning cases are published in this text, which is now in its third edition. The book also includes authoritative readings from experts in Integrated Marketing Communications. Winning cases also are eligible for consideration for publication in the International Journal of Integrated Marketing Communications, also published by RACOM.
Congratulations to the winners of this year’s Jacobs & Clevenger Case Writers’ competition! This year we had several presentations from the award-winning authors after more submissions than previous years.
- 1st Place Gold: Williamsburg – Lisa Spiller, Christopher Newport University; Carol Scovotti, University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
- 2nd Place Silver (tie): KY Speedway – Deborah Cowles, Virginia Commonwealth University; Jan Owens, Carthage College; Matt Sauber, Eastern Michigan University
- 2nd Place Silver (tie): Redskins – Deborah Cowles, Virginia Commonwealth University; Jan Owens, Carthage College; Matt Sauber, Eastern Michigan University
- 3rd Place Bronze (tie): Midway – Blodwen Tarter, Golden Gate University
- 3rd Place Bronze (tie): Song – Lillianna Stelmach, Kristen Walker, Mary Curren, California State University, Northridge
- Pacific Gas & Electric: “Customer Marketing using Multichannel Content Marketing, Email and Direct Mail.” – Ron Jacobs, President, Jacobs & Clevenger
- Angel Ed: “Skills to Pay the Bills: SEM/SEO for Experienced Hungry Students” – Navah Hopkins, Digital Marketing
See you next year!